TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Terms and Conditions
Last updated: 20 February 2023
1. These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client by me (Georgina Fradgley).
2. I will provide editing services as mutually agreed and confirmed in writing by the Client.
3. The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
4. The work will be carried out by me. I will not subcontract any part of the editing project to third parties unless I have obtained the Client’s permission to do so in advance.
5. I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
6. I am not VAT registered.
7. The contract of service requires that the Client acknowledges, in writing (including email), that they have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
8. The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
9. Prior to commencement of the editing work, the Client and I will agree, in writing (including email), the terms of the project:
The medium in which the editing service will be carried out (e.g. MS Word, PDF or proprietary content management system)
How the material will be annotated (e.g. Track Changes in Word, PDF mark-ups or BSI symbols)
The length of time to complete the project
A fee for the project, following my evaluation of the material to be edited and the time frame required to complete the work
The date by which the material will be delivered by the Client to me
The latest date by which the completed project will be returned to the Client.
10. If, however, on receipt of an item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee/and or the deadline, or decline to carry out the work.
11. Similarly, if, during the term of my work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
12. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
13. If my work is reasonably confirmed to be unsatisfactory, I will rectify it in my own time and at my own expense.
14. I may use the Client’s name and logo on my website and in promotional material unless otherwise notified.
15. The Client will pay me a fee per hour OR per 1,000 words OR an agreed flat fee for the project, as agreed in writing.
16. Unless otherwise agreed, I will supply the Client with an invoice immediately upon completion of the editing project.
17. Final payment should be received within 30 days of receipt of the invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
18. All content delivered to me by the Client for the editing project is owned by the Client.
19. In this respect, the Client agrees to hold me harmless from and against all claims, liabilities and expenses arising out of any potential or actual copyright or trademark misappropriation or infringement against them.
20. Following payment of my invoice, any content created by me as part of my editing process will become the copyright of the Client unless otherwise agreed.
21. Either the Client or I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
22. The Client is free to cancel a service for any reason by providing me with written notice (including email); I must acknowledge this cancellation in writing (including email) for this to be valid. If a job is cancelled after work has begun, I will charge the Client a proportionate fee to cover work already completed.
23. If I am subject to extraordinary circumstances that cause cancellation (e.g. family crisis, illness, bereavement), I will contact the Client in writing (including email) at the earliest opportunity and do my best to renegotiate the time frame of the project or find an alternative supplier of copyediting services.
25. This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.